Monday, December 10, 2007

Other pursuits and distractions!


So...the other weekend, my mom taught me some basic knitting. I have been wanting to try my hand at knitting for awhile, and finally got brave enough to try it! And, I am really amazed and surprised by the gorgeous results! This is my very own scarf!

My mom and I went to one of our favorite shops for all kinds of needlework supplies (my mom knits and crochets, I do a lot of cross stitch and needlepoint) to find some fun yarn and supplies. Strands and Stitches in Laguna Beach is an amazing shop for unusual things and they have a wonderfully knowledgeable staff. They also do a lot of classes, workshops and even one-on-one tutorials.

I was immediately drawn to some of the dramatic blues, and honed in on this wonderful turquoise blue. The yarn is handcrafted kettle dyed wool from Manos del Uruguay. This is a non-profit organization of artisans that helps to bring economic and social opportunities to rural women. Beautiful wool!

I am almost done, it will be a full 84" long. YUMMY! I am scheming up some interesting fringe or some kind of cool way to finish it off...

Just a little distraction from my jewelry designs! Don't forget that all K. A. Mace Jewelry orders must completed by 12/15 for holiday shipping!

No comments: